Monday, September 9, 2013

The Quiet Moments

As a homeschooling Momma of five children 10 and under, quiet time sometimes seems to be a mythological creature. It doesn't happen everyday, and sometimes it's interrupted after just a few minutes. Rather than trying to carve out quiet time for myself and experiencing the disappointment that happens when I don't get it, I like to take it as it comes organically-like a gift.

Right now, my three big kids are in their room (they delight in sharing a room) eating their lunch. The baby is asleep on the couch next to me, and I get to just bask in the adorableness of my 2 year old. She really is quite something. I personally find 2 to 4 years to be the most challenging age, but it's also very rewarding. I was eating my own lunch and reading a book for a book club we've joined, but now my hands are full of toddler, not lunch and my book. My quiet time has become our quiet time and it is a beautiful thing. We're snuggling and kissing and hugging and praying, and she is sweetly telling me how much she loves her daddy.

Although this isn't how I planned for my quiet time to go when opportunity knocked, I am cherishing this quiet time with my sweet girl. My lunch is partially eaten and my reading isn't accomplished, and my long to-do list is still uncompleted, but I am storing treasures-precious memories in Heaven.

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
+Matthew 6:19-21

No comments:

Post a Comment