Saturday, September 14, 2013

Producing Fruit

"He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;"
+Psalm 40:2

There you were, a fragile sapling grasping for life in a garbage dump. Day by day you became weaker, less able to withstand the pressures of world around you. The garbage was piled so high around you that you had to contort yourself to absorb the precious little light that filtered down through. The stench of death was all around you, but you were blind to it because it had always been there. You were losing the battle for your life and you didn't even know it.

And then one day, you were rescued. A Man gently reached down and lifted you from the muck that was all around you. He took you to a land of milk and honey, a land filled with lush gardens and a fountain of everlasting water. Never again would you need to contort yourself to find light because the Light was all around you. Never again would you thirst.

At first you were excited, and you'd do anything to please the Man who rescued you. You grew your fruit and eagerly gave it to Him because you loved Him. But as the years passed, you forgot that you once lived on death's door. Each year your harvest was less, and you offered less of it to your Savior. Eventually your offering became an afterthought. And He became an afterthought.

"Produce fruit in keeping with repentance...the ax is already at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire." +Luke 3:8,9

Complacency is such an insidious trap. I think so often we get caught up in our day to day lives that we don't even realize we our squeezing our sweet Savior out. But that is a dangerous situation according to Luke. I want to show my God how much I appreciate what He did for me and I want to reflect the love back to Him. I want to be fruitful and I want my family to be fruitful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment